http://www.hiradio.net/images/action/124_hiradio.html [chinese blood, irish heart] - DEFUNCT: Forty Foot Fever

Friday, March 25, 2005

Forty Foot Fever



Heading out to the Forty Foot in Dun Laoghaire to help do a Grace O'Malley production, I prayed that the weather would hold. Apart from some overcast and drizzle-shizzle, we managed to catch a brief moment of the sun.
Interviewed Gary Coyle, a long time swimmer at the Forty Foot and photographer. And out of nowhere, Frank Kelly (Father Jack) shows up! We'd be pragamatic and not ask him for an interview as he apparently gets real pissed off. But I would've done it just to hear him yell 'FECK OFF!!'
With much courage, Grace *eventually* gets into the wet-suit and tests the 4 degree water. After a brief 20 second swim, she emerges from the water with a piece-to-camera: 'That was cold!!' Brrrrr... I see she won't be following in the footsteps of our infamous 16th Century pirate queen of the same name (Gráinne Ni Mháille)!
We also vox popped some male swimmers and I never in my life have interviewed anyone in the nude. I was quite amazed by their dedication, it seemed like a cult they had going on here. I salute ye brave men (and women)!

(Adios!!)