http://www.hiradio.net/images/action/124_hiradio.html [chinese blood, irish heart] - DEFUNCT: Didn't even realise it was an earthquake...

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Didn't even realise it was an earthquake...

I knew I felt something was out of place: I was quietly sipping noodles on the lunch break of my first official day at work in Beijing when I suddenly lost my balance (while sitting down). It was very brief, so I just brushed it off. Probably due to lack of sleep.
When I got back a friend called me from Hong Kong and when I answered she immediately asked if I was okay in a rather worried manner. At first I was bewildered considering I had just gulped down a substandard pork chop rice, then she told me about the big earthquake. And it hit me! I had felt my first earthquake! It was 7.8 in Sichuan and the quake rippled to Beijing at 3.8ish.
On a more sombre note the death toll has risen past 8,000 according to Xinhua. Even if they're known to dumb down the news, 8,000 is still a pretty high toll.
Earthquake and falling ill on my first day... bad omen perhaps?