http://www.hiradio.net/images/action/124_hiradio.html [chinese blood, irish heart] - DEFUNCT: Ireland railroads Lisbon Treaty...

Friday, June 13, 2008

Ireland railroads Lisbon Treaty...

Ireland has always been a thorn to the European Union elites and just like the Nice Treaty voters have said a resounding 'No' to the Lisbon Treaty that apparently seeks to streamline decision making within the EU (and many other smaller things). Sinn Fein was the main protagonist in the 'no' camp and even though most TD's supported the treaty, our little staunch Republican minority in government managed to pull it off, don't ask me how. This is kind of like the '12 Angry Men' scenario - every member state needs to ratify the treaty or else they can't drive Lisbon through. Perhaps the bigwigs should just um, scrap that rule? Maybe a 80% majority would suffice? Morons.

It may seem hypocritcal, or even a tinge of betrayal against the EU who had been instrumental in Ireland's phenomenal economic growth in the past 15 years. Those poor saps who worked so hard in selling Lisbon can kiss their sorry treaty goodbye thanks to the hard-necked Irish. I would've personally voted no too. Left-wing conspiracy perhaps? I don't listen to neither side any more, I'm just glad we were able to hold a referendum while the other 490 million EU citizens sit idly by. Either way, democracy has spoken and I am proud my compatriots are the only ones in the EU (less than 1% of the total population) to have a voice in this. Never before has Ireland had to make such an important decision in its history (as a free state, of course).

Critics say the Lisbon Treaty undermines smaller EU states and may threaten Ireland's neutrality stance - already tarnished by allowing US airplanes en route to Iraq.
Since I've been away so long I admit I hadn't taken any interest in Lisbon till today. Here's something I dug up that compacts what the No camp is propagating...








Labels: