http://www.hiradio.net/images/action/124_hiradio.html [chinese blood, irish heart] - DEFUNCT: Dinosaurs vs. Christianity

Monday, June 26, 2006

Dinosaurs vs. Christianity

OK so i was bored for the past three sunday evenings.
It's getting way too hot and I'm trying to cut down on my spending cos there's this sweet JVC camcorder I wanna save up for...
But anyway I spent those evenings watching the Jurassic Park trilogy on TVB Pearl's pitifully named 'Ecstaseries.' I didn't think much of it since I've seen them ages ago already. No doubt it had raked in millions for already-rich Steve Spielberg who Forbes ranked the most wealthy director/producer today.
But I wondered if all those Christians out there watched any of them. According to a poll quoted by Richard Dawkin's documentary 'The Root of All Evil?', almost 45 percent of Americans believes the world is only 10,000 years old. The bulk of that percentage are Christians of some sort.
Now here's the irony: Jurassic Park strenghtens the dominant belief that there were indeed dinosaurs roaming our planet millions of years ago... a stark contrast to what Christians believe from the Book of Genosis... that the world was created some 10,000 years ago - in six days.
I suppose Jurassic's main theme warned us about the dangers of biotechnology and cloning etc., I wondered if any Christians boycotted the film. But I suppose most of them were oblivious to the fact that the films were spitting on their precious Bible.
Now for you who know me - yes I was born Catholic. But by the time I reached my teens I had become apethetic towards it. One memory in church comes to mind when some honky made a racist remark at me. I don't think I ever went back to that church again. Though I don't think that was the root of my anti-religious sentiment.
We live in the Conceptual Age now, filtered down from the Information Era, so why are there still so many people entrenched in age-old religious drivel? No one has solid proof there's a heaven or hell, reincarnation, or physical gods. Yet there are still so many people out there living on blind faith - institutionalised as children and passing them on to their children fostering draconian beliefs and promises of an afterlife if they lived accordingly.
I'm officially going to start calling myself an atheist - not that it matters but should the odd question spring up that's what I'll say. I might mention I'm an ex-Christian, but only because I was never given the choice. I think it was my grandmother who wanted to baptise me, aswell as countless other innocent babies during Ireland's 80's and before.
Religion has never helped me in anything and I've never relied on it to accomplish anything. But I'm not discarding it just because it hasn't be any worth to me - it didn't show me any path or help me during dire times of need. It's that I don't want to be a part of anything if I'm not even taking part in it! Yes I've been to masses before, took communion and did the hand movements when supposedly praying but that's just out of respect.
But now since I don't take it seriously and never really have, I shouldn't be a part of it and be associated with it anymore.
This is the Age of Reason and I thoughtfully respect the freedom to believe anything people want, but don't coming preaching to me or call me some ammoral infidel - I'm not someone who's being indoctrinated and brainwashed by an obviously patriachal, hierachial and sadistic institution. (also known as Fox News!)
Now I may not be the perfect, utopian nor outstanding model citizen, but I haven't done anything that betrays my honour, integrity and judgement. So who are these brazen religious fanatics calling us independent, free-minded thinkers that we are the ones that will burn in hell? Or be damned forever? Look at yourselves with your fucking crusades, jihads, fatawas, inquisitions... you're the real psychos dragging down our world. If you think Allah is really going to bless you with 72 virgins for killing an infidel then fine, just make sure it's another religious fuckhead like yourself. Or if some pastor says you're going to suffer eternal damnation if you don't follow the 10 Commandments, then let him fantasise in his own world. Don't let religion affect you in anyway, just as long you live in a mindful way, respecting others and the world around you, who the fuck cares what sect you belong to.
Er yeah, So next time those pesky Jesuits or whoever come knocking on your door like they did mine yesterday - dinosaurs are a good way to get them annoyed.