http://www.hiradio.net/images/action/124_hiradio.html [chinese blood, irish heart] - DEFUNCT: Are manbags... manly?

Friday, January 25, 2008

Are manbags... manly?

Before I rant, I need to make perfectly clear the difference between a 'messenger' bag and a 'manbag':
Messenger Bags are the ones you strap over chest and hangs over one side of your arse - a natural evolution of the briefcase, and idolised by the iconic Jack Bauer!
Manbags however, hang vocariously over a man's shoulder, and you don't know whether he's just being a gentleman by carrying his girlfriend's handbag or what...

First of all, I abhor social conventions that exist in the mainstream about gender roles. Things like, "oh, a guy should be older and taller than his girlfriend" or all girls are destined to be shoe addicts... Who invented these? And yet, why do both genders continue to stereotype themselves? A female friend was teasing me about getting shot by a girl at an upcoming game of paintball... I was like, "so what? Are you saying I'd lose dignity because I got shot by a member of the opposite sex? Or that I'd be embarrassed because females can't shoot well? Or what?? What are you trying to say???" She was quite taken aback. I had a right mind to introduce her to my ex-army compatriot, Private 3-star Stacey Whelan, one of the best sharpshooters of Charlie Company! God knows where they're all now...

Anyway, without sounding hypocritcal and homophobic, and while I'm sure manbags are a very fashionable statement, I just don't see the attraction of it. Out of curiosity while waiting for some underpaid dope getting me a new pair of shorts, I did try on a manbag and looked at myself in the mirror. Didn't look anything special and I just thought, what the hell will I put in it??

Seriously, I never need to carry any sort of bag when I go out except for work. And even then I carry a backpack... a small and non-threatening airtight and waterproof bag that's designed to carry photographic equipment and a laptop... It even has those cooling cushions on the back to absorb sweat. Perfect! It's not the most haute coutre, but damn it's handy and fits my work life.

I mean, how many items does an ordinary guy need to bring out on a casual day? Phone, cigarettes, keys, wallet, change and maybe a bottle of water... You see, now these 'manbaggers' are just carrying them for the sake of fashion. And that's what eats me... these fashion victims carrying a big feckin' shiny bag on one shoulder with items they could easily fit in their pockets. Do you see the fickleness?!

I'm not saying all men who carry them are gay or necessarily infeminate (I couldn't care less)... it's just unncessary and feeding into a fashion trap! Damn you Joey!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a personal note, I'm doing fine. I think my withdrawal symptoms of my Xmas holidays in Ireland are wearing off now. The drudgery of podcast work is getting less weary.

My resumption of cardio training and weight lifting is going along smoothly and I bought a new acoustic guitar to re-learn all those songs I once knew.

I also think I'm finally able to stop thinking about 'her'.... regularly. Still, when you know someone so enchanting and wonderful like she is, it's hard not to get awashed with emotions.

Labels: